our citation generator:
Choose citation type and style
Enter data and hit “Generate Citation”
Use it in your paper and ask our writers to review your paperHire an Editor
- Book section or chapter
When writing an academic paper, students need to think about many things at once. They need to avoid grammar mistakes at all costs while sticking to a logical structure of their paper and avoiding intentional and unintentional plagiarism. Of course, managing all of that can be a real challenge at once, which is why so many students start using different writing and editing tools throughout their writing process.
One tool that can be of great help to you is our free citation generator. A tool like this will help you ensure that all your in-text citations are correct while also helping you format your reference list accordingly. It is a particularly handy tool for students who are only starting to use an APA format or another citation style and need time to get used to it before they feel confident utilizing it. And, of course, it can help you save time!
What Are Citation Styles?
You may have heard of the term “citation style,” which is a format in which you need to write your in-text citations and reference list or bibliography. There are quite a few citation styles, and you will probably only have to use one or two for your academic works, but it is still necessary to be acquainted with them to some extent.
Any citation style can be categorized as parenthetical, numerical, or note. Parenthetical citation styles use parentheses for in-text citations. Numerical citation styles use a number in brackets or superscript. And note citation styles use footnotes or endnotes while using a superscript number or symbol in the text.
The most popular parenthetical citation styles are APA, MLA, Harvard, and Chicago (Turabian) author-date. The most well-known numerical citation style is Vancouver. And the most used note citation style is Chicago (Turabian) notes and bibliography.
How Does the Citation Generator Work?
Our citation generator is relatively easy to understand, especially if you have used a tool like this before. But even if it is your first time using a citation generator, you will quickly figure it out. Nevertheless, here are some tips on how to use our citation style tool effectively:
- Enter the most accurate information about your citation. You must start with a URL, DOI, or other relevant information. Then, you will need to fill out any missing information after the tool has pulled the available details from the source.
- Consult an in-text citation and reference style guidebook. When you get a citation, you can still ensure that it is formatted correctly by consulting a relevant guidebook or style guide (e.g., for an APA format).
- Search for alternative tools to get accurate citations. If you don’t trust our tool, you can search for other similar tools (e.g., specifically for an APA citation generator or a general citation generator). You can then generate in-text citations and your reference list with them if you doubt specific citations you have already generated.
- Order an official bibliography and proofreading services from us. We offer different writing and editing services and can help you perform Chicago grammar checks, detect APA format grammar errors, and even detect unintentional plagiarism, among other things. Our writers and editors will ensure that your bibliography is formatted correctly and that every in-text citation you make is correct.
For Which Papers Can You Use the Citation Generator?
The best thing about our citation generator is that you can use it for any kind and type of paper. Whether you are writing a high-school essay or a graduate dissertation, our citation generator will help you ensure that your references are all correct. Besides, you can use it for different citation styles and consult our plagiarism database to understand how plagiarism and referencing work.
In addition to using our citation generator, you can use our other tools to fix grammar errors, catch unintentional plagiarism, and even generate topic and title ideas for your paper. We offer a full-cycle, all-in-one tool which includes the citation generator, so you don’t need to switch between different websites – you can work on your paper from a single dashboard.
Why Should You Use This Citation Generator?
So, why should you use our citation generator? How is it any better than other citation generators? Here are the main reasons why you should choose our tool over others:
- It is user-friendly. We designed it to be straightforward in how it can be used. This is why even students using our citation generator for the first time will quickly understand what to click and how to make the most of it.
- It is fast. Compared to many other tools of such kind – from APA citation generator tools to tools for Chicago grammar checks – ours is pretty fast. You will only need to wait a few moments before you get results.
- It works for different styles. Our tool is not simply an APA citation generator, so you can use it with a wide variety of citation styles.
- It is integrated with our writing service. If you are unsatisfied with your academic paper, you can order different writing services from us. We can correct grammar mistakes, find unintentional plagiarism, or even write your paper from scratch.
- It is integrated with our writing and editing tools. Additionally, you can use our other tools to find grammar errors, use our plagiarism database to learn more about unintentional plagiarism, and more. Our algorithms flag grammar issues as well as plagiarism quite effectively.
Why Should You Use Our Writing Services?
Even after writing your paper and using our tools to improve it, you may still be unsatisfied with the results. If this is the case, you can contact us to order different writing and editing services from our agency. We can help you with the following:
- Write your paper from scratch. You provide us with instructions, and we will follow them closely to deliver a high-quality paper with no grammar mistakes or factual errors.
- Proofread and edit your paper. If you have a finished work, we can proofread and edit it to fix grammar errors, and have a plagiarism expert check grammar to detect intentional and unintentional plagiarism.
- Perform additional services. You can order a bibliography or reference list from us if you are concerned about such things after performing a plagiarism expert check grammar of your own. You can also choose from a variety of other services that we offer.
Once again, don’t hesitate to use our tools to catch unintentional plagiarism or find grammar errors. Our algorithms flag grammar issues quite well, so you can be confident that there are no linguistic mistakes once you correct those. Moreover, the unintentional plagiarism scan will help you find pieces of text where you plagiarized someone accidentally.
Using our tools for correcting grammar errors and performing an unintentional plagiarism scan is the first step. Still, you are always welcome to go further and order one or several of our writing and editing services. We want to ensure that no student suffers from writer’s block, grammar mistakes, plagiarism, or other problems and challenges.
Why Is It Important to Make Citations?
One of the most important aspects of academic writing is referencing. Students are expected to make citations and explain which sources they used and how. You could be using quotes or you could be paraphrasing from the original source, but you need to cite it properly. This is precisely why you need to make citations and make them correct.
What happens if you don’t cite your sources or if you cite them the wrong way? Well, you will be accused of plagiarism because that does qualify as plagiarism. You would be presenting someone else’s thoughts, ideas, or work as your own without properly crediting them for it. Plagiarism is always treated very strictly, and depending on the rules of your educational institution, you could get anything from a warning to an expulsion.
You should always treat citing and referencing seriously because they could easily impact academic success and your educational journey as a whole. If you don’t have enough experience and knowledge about citing, you can always use our citation generator to get started. Once you get used to a specific referencing style or format and get more practice with it, you will be able to create citations and references on your own quite confidently.
What Is the Difference Between Citations vs. References?
Citing and referencing are terms that are often used interchangeably. Indeed, the two are so similar that it is perfectly normal to consider them as one and the same. Yet, many students start questioning their definitions and asking whether there is actually a difference between citations and references. Though the two are nearly synonymous, they can still have somewhat different definitions.
The word “citation” is often used in the phrase “in-text citation” and refers to the information you use within the text to indicate which source you are using for a specific quote or piece of information. It can be indicated in parentheses or as a number in parentheses or in superscript. The word “reference”, on the other hand, is used to describe the entry in your bibliography or reference list at the end of the paper that discloses the full name of the source you used. An in-text citation can’t exist without a bibliography or reference list entry.
What Styles Does This Tool Support?
As noted earlier, our citation generator works with a wide variety of citation styles, so you don’t need to worry that there is something it can’t do. The styles our tool works with include:
- APA 6 and APA 7
We make sure to update our citation generator according to the new rules introduced to the respective citation styles. For instance, when a new version of APA is released, we update our tool to support the new guidelines of the latest version of that citation style. This ensures that all the students using our tools have properly-formatted citations.
Is Bibliography the Same Thing as Citation?
A bibliography is not the same thing as a citation, but the two concepts are closely related. A bibliography is a reference list that you include at the end of your paper. This is pretty much a list of all the sources you used for your work ranging from books and articles to videos and movies. Anything that you used as a source will have to be included in your bibliography or reference list.
Citation, on the other hand, is a specific piece of information you used from a source. You could be using a quote from one of your sources or you could be paraphrasing something from that source. In both cases, you will need to use a citation to indicate where you got the quote or information from. You will need to have both an in-text citation and a corresponding entry in your bibliography or reference list.
Is This Tool Free?
Yes, our citation generator is absolutely free! We were once students ourselves, so we know how difficult it can be to have enough money for the things we need. This is why when developing our tools, we decided that we will offer them for free. We want every student to be able to excel in their studies no matter what. It is our top priority to ensure the academic success of every student that visits our website.
If you find that our writing and editing tools, including our citation generator, are not enough for you, you can always order our professional writing and editing services. We have very affordable prices and offer some things for free or with discounts. This creates the perfect offer for most students – they can get great quality for a fairly low price. But of course, we insist that you first try our free tools and see for yourself that we are here to help you.